It can be hard to stick with a fitness plan over the holiday season, especially for those who travel. Having a game plan ready before you hit the road is a good way to keep away the holiday pounds. Here are a few tips to help keep a fitness plan when traveling this holiday season.
- Pack sports clothes and sneakers – Make a little extra room in your suitcase for your workout gear. Seeing the extra set of shorts and t-shirt will remind you to keep up your fitness routine.
- Seek out a fitness area- If you are booking a hotel look for one with a fitness facility. Most hotels have a small fitness center with at least some cardio equipment and dumbbells available. If you’re staying with family for extended time check into the local fitness centers, many offer one day passes, or one week passes.
- Get the family involved. Bundle up with the family and take a walk to see the holiday lights. This is also a great way to explore local parks with a winter hike or cross country skiing. If you have a big group you can get a family football game together.
- Make a backup ” I’m too busy plan”- If you schedule gets busy around the holidays come up with a small fitness routine that you can do when you wake up or right before you hop in the shower. This can include a few sets of some squats, lunges, jumping jacks, and crunches.
- Fight long layovers with some exercise- If you are waiting on a flight take a walk around the airport to burn some calories. If you are with multiple family members, take turns with who walks, and who stays with the luggage.